Thursday, March 18, 2010

American Idol Exit Q&A: Joe Munoz on his song choice and rolling with the punches

EW: So you sound pretty blue. Has it been a rough night?
Joe Munoz: Well, it was pretty tough but I guess that’s just part of the whole experience. I’m feeling better now.

You actually performed Jason Mraz’s “You and I Both” to pretty good reviews from the judges. So did you feel confident going into last night’s show?
I was a little nervous because the show is so unpredictable. You don’t really know what’s going to happen. I was preparing myself for whatever would happen.

The judges seemed to be especially harsh this week. Did you talk about that with the other contestants or your roommate?
I was rooming with Jermaine [Sellers]. And, yeah, they were pretty harsh on some people but I think I got good comments. We were just pretty excited to be able to be there and to have the opportunity.

I believe Randy criticized your song choice. Why did you choose “You and I Both”?
I just love that song. I really look up to Jason Mraz. I look up to him as a singer and as a performer. I love the story and I thought it would be a beautiful story to tell.

The other judges had decent things to say. Did that make you feel safe?
They build up your confidence a little bit but it’s not up to them. It’s up to the public. You can never feel totally secure about yourself because it’s up to the votes. America is so unpredictable.

So, what now for you?
I know this sounds so cliché, but I’m going to keep on trying. It’s going to happen. I feel really confident that something good is coming my way. American Idol is such an enormous platform. I never in my life dreamed I would get so much exposure.

Will you be watching the rest of the season or will it be too painful?
No, of course I’ll watch. All my friends are there. I need to support them. I’m going to vote for everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment